Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Read these

I just wanted to point out two articles I've finished and found enlightening in the June dead tree copy of The Atlantic.

First, James Fallows (whose blog is a must-read for anyone who shares my interest in China) has an article about pollution and "Green" industry in China.

I've thought for some time now that "Green" technology and industry, combined with China's ever-increasing in demand for energy, provides a market that could be a driver for US prosperity on par with the IT/communications revolution, if government and business could see the opportunity. Unfortunately, too many people would rather see the environment in terms of public morality or as a way to score political points, so it appears Europe and Asia will lead the field. I'm sure when we're done arguing they'll be willing to sell their advances to us, if the dollar is still worth anything.

The second is Joshua Green's article about Barack Obama's campaign and how it has changed fundraising. It provides an answer to anyone (like me) who has ever wondered "What is the point of social networking?"

No comments: