Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dear users of the Craigslist "Free Stuff" section

The proper response to a listing under "Free Stuff" is "When are you available for me to come to your house and take these items off your hands?" The proper response is not "Hey, call my cell phone."

Let's think about this -- from the moment I decide that something in my house that has been sitting in a closet since I moved in 3.5 years ago is worth so little to us that it must be given/thrown away, I'm doing YOU a favor. From the moment I pressed "publish", I stopped having an archaic music box in my house, and started holding a piece of YOUR property until you can come here and pick it up.

I might give partial credit for "Call my cell phone to give me your address and I will come straight over," but chances are that I'm going to get three responses in the first couple hours a listing is online, and whoever makes me do the least work is getting the goods.

And yes, I realize it would've taken me less time to dial a phone number than write a blog post. Shuddup.

No comments: