Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Homebrew diary: Copper ale bottling

I'm actually posting this about a week late, as it's mainly for my own reference, but I suppose those of you with RSS might see it.

The copper ale was the batch I brewed & transferred to secondary in a big hurry at the end of February right before we left on our road trip, so it's been settling in the secondary for almost a month. It probably needed it, as this was my first "mini-mash" batch; my lack of proper equipment left me with a lot of tiny grain bits in the boil. I didn't see them while I was racking, and the bottom of the bottling bucket was plenty clear.

I got 43 bottles out of this batch. I've checked my measurements several times, so it's pretty clear at this point that I'm sacrificing a six-pack or so to the trub on the bottom of the primary fermenter. Getting those extra six bottles either involves more complicated racking/pouring/filtering, or taking more trub to secondary and bottling -- since I like the amount of work I'm doing right now and the quality of the end product, I'm not going to bother.

I don't have a hydrometer after an accident last week, so I'm flying blind until I put in another homebrew order in a few weeks. However, the sample we tried from the bucket was EXCELLENT. If previous batches are any indication, this should be a fantastic beer in a month or so.

1 comment:

Erik Maldre said...

this is all very mysterious, yet intriguing to me.