Friday, March 21, 2008

A not-so-modest proposal

Public Health Risk Seen as Parents Reject Vaccines -- NY Times

I've read a bit of anti-vaccine propaganda as I was researching cloth diapers and baby carriers. I also got to read about the oft-related practices of "family bed" co-sleeping and why your baby needs to nurse until they enter high school, but that stuff doesn't really affect me or my kids, so to each their own and the less said about it the better; it is breakfast time after all.

So having read what these parents have to say in their own words, when I read articles like this, I just think to myself that I'd rather hang out with flat-earthers or evolution deniers, who are at least more up-front about hating science, the enlightenment, the expansion of knowledge and the whole idea that humans can make the world better for themselves.

In fact, would it be so bad to clear out a big island somewhere like Madagascar, and dump both groups in caves with some lit torches and pointed sticks? Maybe in a few thousand years, when the survivors have invented seagoing vessels, they'll be equipped to rejoin the rest of us.

The current residents of Madagascar? We can move them to the suburbs to take the nice houses and good jobs left behind by these stone-age throwbacks. I'm guessing they'd actually appreciate them.

1 comment:

Erik Maldre said...

Madagascar. That's actually an interesting place. It was the subject of one Globe Trekker episode. That's my absolute favorite show. Unfortunately, I can't remember any specifics from the Madagascar special except the land changes greatly from region to region. One second you're in a rain forest and the next second you're in a desert. It's wild. I don't think we want to spoil the unique landscape that is Madagascar with buffoons. I suggest shipping 'em off to Siberia. Not much out there from what I understand except a few crazy Russians.