Monday, March 26, 2007

Ruth's dream

So my lovely wife had a dream this morning -- In her dream, we were at one of the mansions here in town for a pool party with a bunch of our friends (most of whom are also pregnant).

Then, at a point in the party where I was inside the house (either getting another drink, or giving one back, I assume), someone stands up at a microphone and starts announcing the sex of the babies of the pregnant women in attendance (I joked to Ruth that this scene reminded me of the "Garden Party" episode of The Boondocks: "Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11.").

We don't know what we're having and don't want to know (no one knows, as the one test that could've told us was done by an anonymous tech who didn't write it down and has surely forgotten by now), but the dream speaker was apparently clairvoyant, because she told the whole crowd that we're having a boy. Ruth was quite disappointed that our surprise had been ruined, but tried to get everyone to keep quiet about it because I hadn't heard and she still wanted me to be surprised.

Of course, as she's telling everyone to shut up, I suddenly show up and say, "Wha happened?" I think as she was telling me about the dream, we started laughing too hard at that point for her to tell me if I ever found out the sex or not. Or maybe after I popped back into the party, that's when the phone rang in real life and woke us up.

So, we're not sure if this dream is just a weird hormone-inspired mash-up of anxieties, or some sort of prophesy. Of course, as I told her this morning, there's really nothing mysterious about predicting something that has a 50-60% chance of being true anyway. If our kid ends up looking like the blond, curly-haired toddler she dreamed about last week, then I'll be spooked.

Any aspiring Josephs out there want to take a stab at an interpretation?

No comments: