Thursday, March 8, 2007

Straphanger

In Chicago the remainder of the week, working every day; thus not thinking too much about a baby on the way (except for the sudden realization that we're 2.5 months fromm that Ruth can't sleep a wink, and this probably isn't a good thing for our sanity now that we're staying with her Dad)

This was a pretty common post back on my first blog, when I had to come to Chicago every so often to make sure I still had a job. Now, I'm in the middle of what could be my last work trip ever to Chicago and it's deeply weird. The company has no clue how much time "part-time" work will entail, so this could literally be it, after almost 11 years.

I'm looking forward to being unemployed and being daddy, much more so than I've ever looked forward to this place (sorry everybody); but after this much time, the place and people are a part of me.

UPDATE, now that I'm home... my actual "so long" party was easy. A fantastic cake, answering all the usual questions about the kid and Ruth (feeling fine; no idea what sex the baby is, and no desire to know; June 1st; Yep, I'm gonna be a full-time daddy; Oh, BTW, maybe I didn't mention we're adopting from China too?), then back to work.

The harder part was that last day. There are people there I've worked with since the day I arrived and even if they're just "work friends" that I never spent any outside time around, leaving them was emotional. I dropped a tear or 10, and I think one of my bosses even welled up a little as well.

On the bright side, they made it clear the door is always open; heck, they let me keep the keys, so even if it's not open, I can get in.

After saying goodbye to the people who were important, the actual departure was an anticlimax. An email to thank everyone and say "so long," and a quick stroll through the office and out the door.

But man, once I made the parking lot and started walking to the train platform...it was like a weight coming off my shoulders with every step. It's still taking some time to get used to the new routine (I almost opened my timecard yesterday to enter "one hour - mopped kitchen floor"), but I'm walking on air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY.

D