Thursday, April 5, 2007

Housekeeping

If you're visiting the site in person you've probably seen the sidebar morph every now and again; I like the idea of having some dynamic content over there I can mess with and update more-or-less transparently even when I'm not in the mood to spew words.

I just realized that there are people out there saying nice things about me and I should probably separate the links for people I know in-the-flesh from those I really only know via their electrons; so you'll see that on the right.

You'll also see online news links and links to books I'm reading. I do control what is posted in those, they're not auto-generated by Google or Amazon. Being posted over there doesn't mean it's the greatest thing I've ever read or 100% agreement with what you'll find; more likely, I just found it interesting, funny or generally worth your time. I'm also going to add links to products I've purchased or enjoyed.

And yes, I can theoretically make money on the Amazon links, although the main reason they're up is because I like the way their interface lets me post pictures and descriptions of books I've read without devoting a post to each.

If you don't have some other site/cause/etc. that you support by shopping Amazon through an associate link, then clicking that link when you buy through Amazon would be much appreciated.

Of course, all this stuff adds overhead to the site, but it's hard for me to gauge how badly it slows down because everything is slow on my ancient laptop. Let me know if things really start to crawl...

[EDIT: A new reader (hi Dad) just informed me that some piece of javascript on the page is freaking out Safari, which seems to happen on 10.3.9 or 10.4. Sorry about that...]

2 comments:

rico567 said...

Well....I can now view it in all its glory on Firefox2.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy you on Firefox as well, and it's just grand.