Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One week down

So it's been exactly a week since Ruth left, and... Wait.

Just a minute.

WHAT!?!?! A FRAKIN' WEEK?!?! IT'S ONLY BEEN A WEEK?


If you'd asked me this when I didn't have a calendar in front of me, I'd swear it's been three weeks or a month already.

But it's been a week with no hospital visits and the house is still about as clean as when she left. So I guess we're going to make it.

A couple times a day I spend a few minutes with Theo in front of a wall of family pictures, asking him to show me Mommy, then after he points at her I tell him how much Mommy loves Theo and how she wishes she were home to give him a hug and put him to bed and help Daddy.

I've had him look at a few photos Mommy has sent from the ship and listen to some videos with her voice, but doing anything in front of the computer with him, it's only a matter of seconds until the computer itself becomes more interesting than what's on the screen. He's still trying to update his blog.

Finally, every night before bed, along with the usual litany of "night-nights" to family and honorary family all over the place, I tell him, "say night-night to Mommy, wherever she is"; and that's his cue to wave at the door to his room.

and I start getting verklempt, because how much cute can you fit in one kid?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: