Friday, January 11, 2008

To the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME

I once thought that between Vanilla Ice and the Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie episode of The Simpsons, there were no longer any valid non-ironic uses of the word "extreme." However, I'm more than willing to make an exception to that rule for the craft brewing industry.

I already linked to Brookston Beer Bulletin in the "What I'm reading now" sidebar discussing this NYT story on extreme microbrews, but I decided to also post directly to the Times article -- it's that good.

Not only are Dogfish Head 90-minute and Lagunitas Maximus two of my fave beers, it's great to see a mainstream outlet like the NYT continuing to discuss craft beers and treat them with the same respect as other premium food and drink.

On a related homebrewing side note: A couple months ago I brewed the Hop Head Double IPA kit from Midwest Homebrew Supplies, and to my not-so-refined palate, it's nearly as good as DFH 90-minute, my fave of the "Extreme IPA" variety.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though the Times included a photo of a tattooed freak, which is not the image I associate with these extreme beers, Eric Asimov has always been one to include very solid reviews of beer in his column in addition to his normal wine reviews.

John, if you like Lagunitas Maximus, try their Kill Ugly Radio edition if they're in R.I. They're in the 22 oz bombers. And for those of you who haven't had Oscar Blues Gordon (also on this NY Times list), get thee to thine liquor store and get some.

I think I'm too much into extreme beer like this. Reading their reviews I was like "Had it, had it, had it last night, got it in my fridge, had it last week..."

Yum.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you, thank you. If Hop Head Double IPA is even close to Dogfish Head 90 min, it's going to be fermenting in my basement. Soon.