Thursday, December 13, 2007

Homebrew diary: Oatmeal stout

It wasn't a good day to try and brew, but with a trip coming up for Christmas, I had to get some beer in the fermenter today so I could get my winter beers brewed and drinkable before the first of spring. I used the Oatmeal Stout extract kit from Midwest Homebrewing Supplies.

Yesterday I activated my Wyeast pack and made a starter, as well as getting all the necessaries out of the basement. If I'm going to store my gear in the basement I need to start wrapping it in a trashbag, I'm washing everything twice because the dust is so heavy down there.

During Theo's morning nap I got everything staged -- water in pots, equipment in sanitizer. I started warming up water about a half hour before his long afternoon nap, knowing I wouldn't be done when he woke up, but far enough along that I could still feed him, bathe him, make dinner and not make any massive mistakes. Several hours later, I'm still trying to figure out if I succeeded.

The first speedbump was the specialty grains -- I use a technique for steeping the grains I picked up on the Midwest forums, where instead of teabagging the grains in the brewpot, I soak them in a small amount of water in a saucepan, strain them into the brewkettle, then dump them back in the saucepan to repeat the process.

I didn't consider that the grains, in this case, were mostly rolled oats -- and thus, when I lifted the lid on the saucepan after steeping a half-hour, I had OATMEAL, making the rinsing and straining process a much bigger PITA than usual, and leaving me way behind on getting the boil started.

Once I was boiling, all was well and normal; I had set several containers outside to collect the day's snow and sleet, making wort cooling a cinch. I poured the cooled wort into my carboy, topped it up with water to 5 gallons, and pulled a sample to check the starting gravity...which came out at 1.060, nearly .020 higher than the expectation on the recipe.

I checked my hydrometer on a cylinder of water -- right on the money, 1.000 corrected. No matter how I played with the hydrometer, I didn't get anything close to the recipe expectation. The only other times I've had this issue, it was not enough water...but I fixed that issue a couple batches ago, and I'm 99.994% sure I was right at 5 gallons.

I decided that chances are that despite my efforts the water I added wasn't completely mixed with the very thick wort from the boil. I gave the carboy some extra shakes, pitched my yeast, and put the carboy in the basement; now I just keep my fingers crossed...

5 comments:

JA3 said...

And before my filthy-minded readers get a chance to say it: "HA! Teabagging!"

Anonymous said...

Dirty minded bastard.

D

Anonymous said...

Ha! You said PITA. Bet you thought I was one of those filthy-minded readers about to giggle over teabagging. You aren't one of those mad brewmasters who tests his beers out on his friends are you? I mean I do want to see the wife and child, but should I fear for my tastebuds? Ha ha ha!

JA3 said...

Hey Ms. D, if you don't want to drink it, that's just more for me...but I always have an empty fermenter if you'd care to take a shot at homemade wine...

Can you believe March is almost here! Ruth wants to know how much Prozac to bring so she can make it through two weeks in Dullgren?? Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Oh great white heathen, just let the wife know that if she's going to bring Prozac please bring enough for the entire class. Can't wait to see her! What will you and Theo do the two weeks she's away?