Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Last week's excuse for no posts

I just finished a mini-vacation of sorts, as Theo's grandparents left Sunday morning after a weeklong visit. They have no particular agenda when they visit us other than to spend time with Spud, so I didn't really have to provide any entertainment. I had no problem passing up a couple diapers a day and handing off the evening routine to Grandma and Grandpa.

With all the extra willing hands, I even had the extra time and energy for a few things I normally wouldn't if just Theo and I were around: my Dad and I brewed a batch of beer one afternoon/evening; I spent a full afternoon and half the night cooking pulled pork on the grill; and after some confusion over plans Ruth and I even went to a friend's going away party by ourselves.

Just taking that walk to and from the pub on our own was refreshing -- it's pretty obvious we don't get out by ourselves as much as we should, but life is like that sometimes, not always what you're planning.

Of course, while Ruth was in school during the day we took plenty of walks with Theo -- we showed Mom and Dad around Island Cemetery, Ruth had an afternoon off so we all went to the Cliff Walk and while Theo napped one day, Mom and Dad went to Touro Synagogue.

Since Ruth generally has long lunch hours, we mostly went out to lunch (and sometimes breakfast or coffee) at our fave spots around Newport and ate dinner at home, although one night we did get out to The Mooring (where they treated Theo very well although we're discovering he's not much for seafood) followed by gelato at Cold Fusion.

It was a great time. Even though the heat wave at the beginning of the week kept us at home a couple afternoons, it also chased us into the shade of the backyard, which was relaxing for all of us and yet more new adventures for Theo. Dad and I spent quite a bit of time holding down lawn chairs and sampling each other's homebrew.

I can't imagine the week could've been any better and from the way Theo's face lit up every time he saw his grandparents, I'm betting he agrees.

So now it's back to finding other reasons for a sporadic posting schedule!

2 comments:

Michelle D. said...

Yeah! I've been linked. I feel so special. Thanks for letting Jim and I barge in on you time with your parents. We really enjoyed visiting with them. And hey parents at the house is a perfectly logical excuse for not blogging.

rico567 said...

Yeah- great time with Theo; always good to visit family, and Newport is a great place to do it. Overall, a sunny week away from the swamp that is currently the Midwest = priceless.