Monday, June 30, 2008

Ribs update

Because the weekend was spent away from the computer (more on that later), I never had the chance to update the ribs post. I don't blame James for being impatient, because it probably seemed like a gigantic tease.

From 11:30 AM until about 8:30 that night, I left the ribs in the grill, adding charcoal every hour or so and turning the slab around once. Temperature on the grill thermometer probably averaged 225-250 degrees F. The drippings boiled in the aluminum foil so I didn't even bother using a thermometer to check the meat.

At 8:30 PM, we had this:



When Ruth came home from her outing, I served up the ribs to her and a couple friends along with some homebrews:



The meat, encrusted with the dry rub fell off the bones, tasted spicy and smoky but not mouth-burning hot. The rib bones crumbled apart to reveal the browned marrow, so rich that cleaning off the meat and the marrow from two ribs left my usually cast-iron stomach a touch queasy.

Yes, this magic will be performed again SOON.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a little of those ribs...I can verify that they were yummy!

Oh by the way Chad's blog is http://www.alamptoyourfeet.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

**Previous comment deleted by me due to typo**

My, how times have changed, Grande Padre. Had you had this blog 15 years ago while a college student, any post that talked about photos of your 'meat' would have involved shots of you streaking through campus. When a gallon of beer is sloshing around in your tummy, it's amazing what makes sense at those points in time. :)

JA3 said...

Point of order, James: All my college streaking was done STONE COLD SOBER. I had witnesses.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried slow-cooking something on your car's engine block during a long road trip? That is my challenge to you for your move to Norfolk.