Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On my mind.

You know that you've got too many things on your mind when you think about checking the (running) washing machine for the baby monitor receiver. It was in the bathroom, thanks.

I don't post much about anything related to Ruth's work because I'm paranoid, and all evidence to the contrary I have to assume that her entire chain of command (Hi Mr. President) and all the other scattered millions who get DoD paychecks are reading whatever I write.

That being said, given that this blog is mostly personal and that this subject has dominated my thoughts all summer, I don't know why I haven't mentioned much that OHMYFRAKINGJEEBUS we're moving in about two months. This afternoon we leave for Norfolk to go look for a house.

Of course we won't be able to make any solid offers until we sell our current house in Norfolk. More than any particular home features, we want to move to a walkable area of the city where we can continue living with minimal car dependence, as we have here. As a lot of you probably know, it's not easy to muster much enthusiasm for looking at a bunch of homes that might not (but realistically, given the market, likely will) be around when we get around to making an offer.

In the end, I have to tell myself that our solid financial condition and the total buyer's market in Norfolk will leave us able to buy SOMETHING adequate in a neighborhood we can live with, even if our current place doesn't sell at all. We can even drop the price of our current place to a fire sale price, say 25% off our original asking price, and our equity would leave us with enough down payment to afford something nice in the area we want. [NOTE TO ANY POTENTIAL BUYERS WHO MIGHT HAVE READ THIS: FUCK YOU, I'M NOT LOWERING THE PRICE THAT MUCH. NOT TODAY, ANYWAY. AND YES, I'm intentionally screaming.]

This certainty in my brain that the variables of the situation all fall in our favor does not ameliorate the uncertainty, or the corresponding worry in my gut, at all. I should totally be preparing to get us out the door in four hours rather than writing a post, but it's one of those Get This Out of My Mind situations.

So right now I have posts percolating about last month's polo match (too many cute pictures to count) and Tom's "support systems for military husbands" post. If you see either of these posts this weekend, you'll know that the house selling and buying is going very, very well, but I wouldn't advise holding your breath on that...

1 comment:

Paul Rinkes said...

You're moving in two months; we're moving in 24 hours. Every fear about buying and selling houses you've expressed has already passed through my system. Now I'm up to the "will I like it in the deep(er) South?" ... you're lucky because you've lived where you're moving.

Trust me, you'll get through it. They say it's the journey, not the destination, that's important, but if the past two months are any sort of guide, the journey will be disjointed, overly caffeinated and spent mostly inside a rented minivan.

Good luck!